***July-August 2022 Dinner Group Winner***
You can bring the heart of Louisiana right to your own kitchen with this easy Shrimp Creole recipe that takes just 30 minutes to make, all in one pot!
Prep time:10 mins
Cook time:20 mins
4 Tablespoons butter
1 large onion, diced
1 rib celery, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon thyme
½ teaspoon black pepper
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 Tablespoon flour
1/3 cup dry white wine (optional)
1 15 oz can diced tomatoes, or about 1 1/4 cups peeled and diced fresh
1 cup chicken stock
2 bay leaves
Hot pepper sauce, such as Tabasco, to taste
2 lb large uncooked shrimp, (about 32)
6-8 cups hot cooked rice, for serving
2 green onions, chopped, for garnish
1. Add butter to a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, celery, bell pepper, and garlic and sauté until veggies are lightly browned.
2. In a small bowl whisk together the thyme, salt, pepper, cayenne and flour. Stir into onion mixture and cook for 2 minutes.
3. Deglaze the pan with wine (if using) and then add chicken stock, tomatoes, bay leaves and hot sauce. Reduce heat and simmer for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Remove bay leaves. Add shrimp and cook until pink, just 3-4 minutes.
5. Serve over hot cooked rice and garnish with green onion.
Add In's and Variations:
Bacon Sausage Crawfish Chicken creole- substitute chicken for shrimp
Seafood creole- Add scallops and haddock
Catfish creole- substitute catfish for shrimp
To substitute rice- Serve over mashed potatoes or pasta
Make-ahead Instructions: The sauce is almost better made ahead of time and allowing the flavors to settle. To make ahead, prepare the sauce as instructed but don't add the shrimp. Refrigerate for 1-2 days and return to pan to simmer before adding shrimp.
Freezing Instructions: Make the sauce but don't add the shrimp. Freeze the sauce in a freezer safe bag or container for 2-3 months. To reheat, allow sauce to thaw, simmer in saucepan, and add shrimp, cooking until pink.
Calories: 316kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 39g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 483mg | Sodium: 1795mg | Potassium: 294mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 499IU | Vitamin C: 29mg | Calcium: 279mg | Iron: 4mg
*nutrition info does not include rice