2 ½ cups self-rising flour
2 tbsp. sugar
2 tbsp. shortening
2 tbsp. butter
Contents of 1 Earl Grey tea bag
1 tsp. candied ginger, minced
½ cup whole milk
• Preheat oven to 400°F.
• Grease a baking sheet.
• In a large chilled bow, combine flour, sugar, shortening, butter, and tea.
• With your fingers, work the flour and fat together until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
• Stir in the candied ginger.
• Beat the egg until it froths and set 1 tablespoon aside.
• Beat the milk into the remaining egg and pour over the flour mixture.
• Toss together until the dough can be gathered into a ball.
• Turn dough out onto a floured surface and roll out into a ¼-inch thick circle.
• Cut the dough into wedges with a sharp knife, making about 12 scones.
• To reserved egg, add a teaspoon of water, then brush tops of scones with egg wash.
• Bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown on top.
• Serve with clotted cream, strawberry jam, or lemon curd.
Note: double the recipe, cut the scones into rectangles and serve with pear marmalade