From: Dariel Mayer
May 2021 Herb Study Parsley Tasting winner
• 1/2 cup (75 g) unbleached all-purpose flour
• 3 tbsp cornstarch
• 1 pinch salt
• 1/2 cup (125 ml) milk
• 1 cup (45 g) flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
• 1 block (250 g) cream cheese
• 1/4 cup (55 g) butter
• 1 tbsp (15 ml) lemon juice
• 6 eggs, separated
• 3/4 cup (160 g) sugar
1. With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 325°F (165°C).
2. Line an 8-inch (20 cm) square baking pan with parchment paper, letting it
hang over all four sides.
3. In a bowl, combine the flour, cornstarch and salt. Set aside.
4. In a blender, purée the milk and parsley until smooth.
5. In the top of a double boiler, melt the cream cheese, butter and lemon juice,
stirring constantly, until the mixture is smooth and creamy. Remove from the
6. Add the egg yolks and parsley mixture. Whisk in the flour mixture.
7. In another bowl, whisk the egg whites with an electric mixer until soft peaks
form. Add the sugar gradually, whisking constantly, until stiff peaks form.
8. Carefully fold the egg whites into the batter using a whisk. Transfer to the
9. Prepare a hot water bath (bain-marie) for the oven. Place the cake pan in a
larger baking pan and add hot water to the larger pan to about one-third the
way up the sides.
10. Bake for 1 hour 15 minutes. Remove the cake from the double boiler. Let cool
for 2 hours. Cover and refrigerate until completely chilled, about 6 hours.
11. Serve the cake alone or garnished with lightly sweetened strawberries tossed
with lemon juice.