2 small to medium yellow onions, coarsely chopped
4-5 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup gochujang (Korean hot pepper paste)
2 tablespoon light brown sugar
2 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon brown rice vinegar
1/4 cup sesame oil
3 pounds bone-in, skin on chicken pieces (drumsticks, chicken thighs)
1. Cut 3 pounds of chicken wings into three sections; save the wing tips for stock. Toss the wings with a little neutral oil to keep them from sticking.
2. Heat a charcoal or gas grill; the fire should be moderately hot and the rack 4 to 6 inches from the heat. Leave one side of the grill cooler for indirect cooking.
3. Put the wings on the cool side of the grill. Cover the grill and cook, checking and turning once or twice, until most of the fat has been rendered and the wings are cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes.
4. While the wings cook, combine 1/4 cup soy sauce, gochujang, 2 tablespoons rice vinegar, 2 tablespoons honey, 1 tablespoon sesame oil, 2 tablespoons minced garlic and 1 tablespoon minced ginger in a large bowl.
5. When the wings are cooked, add them to the bowl with the sauce, and toss to coat. Now put the wings on the hot part of the grill, and cook, uncovered, turning as necessary, until they are nicely browned on both sides.